Hope Dealer

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to interview a gentleman for my business. He was an older fellow... although, what does that really mean anymore? Perhaps in his mid to late 50's? I sat with him and discussed our business model, how we get paid, etc. always careful not to regale prospective agents with the merits of joining with us over any other insurance agency. That is not my goal. My goal is to lay out the facts as they are. I don't want everyone in my business; to each his own as they say.

The gentleman showed a degree of interest and then I decided as is my tendency, to probe a bit deeper... to discover his dreams, goals, and aspirations for the future. For at the heart of these lies the true heart of an individual. Applications, appointments, dials etc. are part of the process but what makes a lasting effect on an individual, what keeps them in the game so to speak is not the business... it is their broader vision of themselves and the hope--the hope that they can one day achieve all of the things they never doubted they could do when they were finger painting beneath the stars as eager young minds without a hint of tarnish. Before the world told them to stop and reconsider.

A motivational speaker he said... a six-figure a year earner he said... a father who is there for his children he said. All wonderful things... all things he can do. I am willing to help. I share my willingness.

After our interview, we shook hands and I scheduled a follow-up phone call. I also felt compelled to send him a brief e-mail as our discussion stirred within me my own hopes, a few that mirrored his own. "It was a pleasure speaking to you today," I wrote. "You have a fire and a passion in your eyes," I continued. "I look forward to helping you achieve the goals we discussed today," I finished before I plowed into a few business as usual comments. Done! Out of my mind and on to the next task.

The next day however, I received a reply. Before I share, let me relate to you a brief story:

In a recent issue of Success magazine's monthly CD, I had the opportunity to listen to John Maxwell discuss a story about a woman who came to one of his book signings. The room was packed, the line was out the door... and there wasn't alot of time for small talk. The woman came up and thanked Mr. Maxwell profusely for the "gift" he had given her. He smiled, signed the book and as she turned to walk away he couldn't help but ask, "I'm sorry but would you mind sharing? What was the 'gift' I gave you?" With tears in her eyes she said "Hope! When I read your books it gives me hope." It reminded Maxwell of a quote by Napoleon--he said, "Leaders are dealers in hope."

The e-mail began:

"Laura, I really enjoyed meeting with you on Saturday. You stirred up my desire and hope."

When I read this man's e-mail it moved me and it reminded me of Maxwell's story and of the quote by Napoleon... "Leaders are dealers in hope."

I beamed with pride and at the same moment bowed reverently in humility. I have officially joined the ranks. A rank only bestowed by those that wish to elevate you...

I am a Hope Dealer.

Comments