And the Mimes Have It!

Now, I feel that I must disclose that my ability to visualize is not always at its peak. I have visualized and not been able to manifest that which I tried to conjure. But I take full responsibility for my ineptitude. It was my lack of clarity and focus that caused my failure (there's that word again!).

Just last week I was listening to a cassette tape (yes, you read correctly... cassette tape) that mentioned Robert Louis Stevenson--the author, essayist, poet... does Treasure Island ring a bell? When Stevenson's faith waned as to whether or not he was truly in control of his life he was said to perform the following exercise. He would visualize with specificity something that he wanted and he'd wait for it to manifest itself in his life.

That day I had a storm cloud hovering over me and my wings seemed to have been covered in mud. I was a bit blue and frustrated with my progress in certain areas of my life; yes! I have those days too! So I decided to give the exercise a try. I wanted to visualize something that was really out of the ordinary. Something that, when I saw it, there would be absolutely no doubt whatsoever that it was a direct result of my first having visualized it.

I picked, drum roll please... a mime. That's right a mime... I mean, how often have you seen a mime in your life unless you camp out in New York's Central Park? So I imagined a male mime, white-faced, with a black jumpsuit, black suspenders, and a white t-shirt with thin black horizontal stripes. I visualized what he would look like interacting with me. And then went on with my day...

Two days later I went to a "Ladies Luncheon." Although I had been in a business meeting earlier in the day with the woman that ended up sitting across from me I didn't give much thought to her outfit. Even at the luncheon it didn't really hit me. It wasn't until later when I took some time to reflect on my day that I made the connection! I had entered the exercise from a gloomy place of disbelief and had not given my subject--the mime--the focus and clarity necessary for it to manifest itself how I intended. My thoughts were muddled so the object I received in my life from my visualization exercise was also muddled!

The woman who sat across from me wore a black dress with black suspenders and a white t-shirt with thin black horizontal stripes! I once heard it said that "Successful people ask better questions therefore they get better answers." The opposite would also be true. If we ask confused, unclear questions, we will received confused, unclear answers. Visualization is no different!

Some of us wonder why we don't get what we want out of life. Well, the universe is just as confused because our desires are not clear. If we don't know WHAT we want how can we ever GET what we want? I remember asking MM for advice a few months back but I didn't give him all of the information he needed to give me an answer that would be effective. He later told me, "If you give me false (or incomplete) information, I give you false counsel." It may be unintentional, but the results are undeniable!

I suggest trying this exercise and writing down exactly what you want to manifest in your life. Then keep track of the amount of time it takes to show itself. It may be an hour, a day, or a week! You may get half or part of what you had intended; and if that's the case, journal about that too and re-clarify what you'd like to see.

And remember:

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world." - Buddha

Comments