Flat Tires and June Bugs

Well folks, my birthday flat tire got me thinking. When I mentioned the flat tire to folks they told me they felt sorry for this unfortunate event, especially since it happened on my birthday and all. Let's get something straight here--the terms "bad thing" and "good thing" are labels that WE place on events that have no labels.

I'd like to think that there is tremendous positive significance to each event in my life. Let me give you an example:

When I was a little girl I used to flip over June Bugs:


These little guys tumble onto their backs quite easily and once they do they don't seem to be able to right themselves. So when I saw one struggling to get to his/her feet I would help them out with a little nudge. I created a story in my mind that helped fuel my passion and purpose for doing this. I thought to myself that if I was ever mugged on the street perhaps this little June Bug I just helped would fly into the face of the mugger distracting him so that I could have time to break free and make my way to safety. Yes, I know... quite the extreme case. But so what?! It's my story... :)

If that was too extreme, here is a story from Are You Ready to Succeed? by Srikumar Rao that illustrates my point. I first heard Dr. Rao speak on Success magazine's October audio CD where he implored people to stop using the "bad thing" label. So here goes:

An old man lived in a valley with his son, a handsome and dutiful youth. They lived a peaceful life despite a lack of material possessions. They were very happy. So much so, that neighbors began to get envious.

One day, the old man used all his savings to buy a young wild stallion. It was a beautiful horse that he planned to use for breeding. The very same day he bought it, the horse jumped the fence and ran off. The neighbors came over to sympathize. “How terrible!” they said.

“Good thing? Bad thing? Who knows?,” said the old man.

Ten days later the stallion returned. It came with a whole herd of wild horses, and the old man was able to lure them into the corral and fixed it so escape was no longer possible. The neighbors again gathered around “What good fortune!” they said.

“Good thing? Bad thing? Who knows?,” said the old man.

His son started to train the horse. One of them threw him to the ground and stomped on his leg. It healed crookedly and left the son with a permanent limp and endless pain. “Such misfortune," said the neighbors.

“Good thing? Bad thing? Who knows?,” said the old man.

The next summer, the King declared war and all the young men from the village were forced into the army. Except the old man’s son was spared because of his injured leg. “Truly, you are a lucky man,” exclaimed the neighbors who cried over the loss of their own sons.

“Good thing? Bad thing? Who knows?,” said the old man.

So, I share that story to say this... I am grateful for every experience in my life. If I am stuck in traffic or behind a slow driver I thank God because it might save me from being in the wrong place at the wrong time, like in the middle of a fatal traffic accident. That flat tire might have saved my life and therefore I feel I am always exactly where I am supposed to be.

How we view the world is of our own making. So it has always been, and so it will always be!

Comments