A Hunting We Will Go

Okie dokie... so no one told me they were going to look all weird and brainy like!

We found some mushrooms!  13 to be exact... and I was concerned that 5 bread bags would not be enough... :)



They are Morchella, which according to Wikipedia are "the true morels."

We spent about 3 hours and 15 minutes searching to no avail as the locals would not disclose their mushroom honey spots!  Per one local, sharing the location of his mushroom honey spot would "not do his freezer any good."  OK then! 

On our way out of the woods, dejected and morel-less, we came across a man who was down on his hands and knees searching.  It just so happened he had come across some of these elusive fungal curiosities!

I thought to myself, "He can't be here all night!" 

Once he vacated the premises, the magic began as we uncovered our first morels!

I sent a picture of the morels to my family in Texas... my mother implored:  "Google them to see before u put that in ur mouth please Lal."  (Lal is my nickname.)

Google confirmed it!  I am assured they are edible!  

Tomorrow night (Saturday, 7 Apr 12) the cooking and feasting will begin!

To Be Continued...

Comments