A Letter to Chipotle, 30 June 2014


My husband read me the "Two-Minute PersonalityTest" by Jonathan Safran Foer at your restaurant yesterday.  It made us think, and laugh... :)

This morning I was driving to work and saw an older gentleman in his pajamas on his hands and knees in his front yard.  I thought he might be looking for something and kept driving.  I thought about Jonathan's words, "What's the kindest thing you almost did?”

And then I thought to myself, I just have to know.

I turned around and drove back.   

He was crawling toward his house.  

 I parked, got out of my car and said, "Sir, are you OK?"

He told me he could not stand up. 

I walked over to him and put my arms under his arms and lifted him up.  He said he just needed to get his feet under him (don't we all?). :)

I stood him up and he said he was good.  I insisted that I help him get inside.  We walked back to the house slowly and I steadied him. 

As I opened the door a little pug appeared and he told me it was his "wife's dog" and that she was in the hospital.

I helped him into his house and he slowly turned around and extended his hand.  I shook his hand and he said, "Getting old is a bitch."  I laughed and he thanked me for helping him.

I told him to have a good day and he wished me the same and told me to drive safe.

I got in my car and cried as I finished my drive to work.

I'd like to think I still would have turned around even if I had not read Jonathan's message...


It made an impact.

Comments