Tension and Technology

It started with a pain in the base of my neck... and then my neck started to tighten.  I felt a tension, like a wrench tightening a bolt and limiting the range of motion.  I lowered my head, hoping to stretch my neck muscles to lessen the pressure.  I then felt heat, and an itchy sensation on my side.  A bite that I received from some unknown critter months before--perhaps a spider or insect--was now reanimated and irritating my side.  The area was red and splotchy. 

I was supporting my husband at a racing event and had anticipated being able to continue my work which keeps me on the phone for most of the day.  As we continued on our travels I counted the voice mails... one, two, three, six, ten... I was not concerned.  "I'll be able to call them back when we arrive at our destination," I thought to myself.  But when we arrived, there was no cell phone reception... NONE... ANYWHERE.  I wouldn't be able to return the calls as I had anticipated.  It was a Thursday and we were not scheduled to be home until Sunday. 

I was having a panic attack.  My BlackBerry was an extension of my body and now, it no longer worked.  No texting, no talking, no e-mailing... I was not coping well.

I broke down... hot tears streamed down my face.

This was not healthy.

There was Wi-Fi at the house we had rented and a land line.  I was able to check my voice mails from the land line and e-mail all of the people that had called me to let them know I would not be able to speak to them until Monday.

I felt better.  I felt a release. 

I did not want people to think poorly of my company by being unresponsive.  More importantly I did not want them thinking poorly of ME.

First impressions are huge, in my opinion.  Returning the phone calls in a timely manner meant the people on the other end of the line would know I was responsible, receptive, attentive, caring...

I was concerned with how I would be perceived.  I felt judged by people I had never even met.

I went for a walk and enjoyed the fresh mountain air.  I needed some time to think...

Comments