Tumford the Terrible

I recently read Tumford the Terrible by Nancy Tillman.  I really enjoyed the book and I wanted to take a moment to tell you why!  Now yes, I am a grownup and this is a children's book... or is it?  I think there are lessons for young and old in this delightful, richly illustrated book. 

First off, the story of Tumford, a plump, black and white cat with bright yellow eyes, has a sing-songy nature that captured my interest from the very beginning.  It's very "Dr. Seuss" in its presentation and there is comfort in its message: 

     No, love is a thing that just happens, you see...
     like the way I love you
     and the way you love me.

What an absolutely lovely message!  You can't help but look at the person that you're reading the book to and gush as a wave of warmth, happiness, and good will pours over you.

Tumford is a story of redemption.  Tumford, a.k.a. Tummy, does not like saying he is sorry.  Despite his misdeeds, and regardless of your own, salvation can come in two simple words:  I'm sorry.

Tummy is cheered and celebrated for finally saying the words that he feared would "stick in his throat."  His misplaced fear also sheds light on the fact that what we often fear rarely comes to pass.  When the words finally grace his lips, Tillman shares the fact that he didn't just say the words; more importantly, "He meant those words...".  Furthermore, she states that "nothing is worse than an insincere cat," or human, for that matter.  What genius!  A lesson that transcends species, and age!

Tummy isn't always on the straight and narrow but he is loved!  And you are too... "and that's all that matters"!

Comments